(Courtesy of Guidant Financial)
At some point or another, every employee fantasizes about quitting their day job and becoming their own boss. It’s the quintessential American dream — building a career from the ground up and taking control of one’s own destiny. And with approximately 543,000 new businesses launching each month, it’s an aspiration more and more people are pursuing.
Will 2015 Be Your Year To Be The Boss?
If you have the inkling to make the leap from employee to employer…if you’re hoping 2015 will be your year to be the boss, a franchise can be an especially pleasing way to do so. Rather than starting a new business, franchises offer the strength of a brand name and a solidified product/service with the flexibility to manage your individual location as you see fit. Here are a few signs you’re ready to branch out into the world of franchising:
1. You enjoy checking items off a to-do list. One of the main draws of franchises is that they come equipped with their own proven business models and specific steps to be successful. If you’re obedient and can trust in an established system without reinventing the wheel, franchising may be perfect for you.
2. You think about the big picture. Being a franchise owner means you have to be willing to put in long hours and hard work to get your business off the ground. If you’re the type of person who keeps your eye on the bigger prize and lets that incentive motivate day-to-day tasks, you’d make a suitable franchisee.
3. You’re comfortable being a team leader. As a franchise owner, you’ll have to manage a team. If you find yourself regularly delegating tasks in a group and taking ownership of projects at large, franchising could be in your blood.
4. Patience and optimism are virtues you possess. Success doesn’t come immediately to any small business. Even franchises with their proven prototypes take time to build. To make a good franchisee, you must be patient and willing to put in your due diligence with a smile on your face.
5. You’re a people person. Any franchisee will tell you that being prosperous requires relationship building, whether it’s with employees, partners or customers. Accomplished franchisees enjoy talking to people and helping them find the right product to fit their needs.
6. You like working within an existing system. Since franchises already have a prevailing foundation, they’re perfectly suited for those who are ready to hit the ground running rather than start from scratch. If you feel more comfortable following a proven track record, franchising makes the perfect business choice.
7. You handle stress well. Small business ownership doesn’t come without stressors and setbacks. To make it, you must be able to handle the challenging times without getting overwhelmed. Can you keep a clear head and make good decisions under pressure? Then you’re ready to make the leap into franchise ownership.